A procedure text is a piece of text that tells the reader or listener how to do something. The purpose of procedure text is to tell informations for making something, doing something or getting some where. Examples; recipes, itineraries, instruction manuals, and direction.
A procedure text has three sections. The title that gives aim or goal of the procedure, followed by a list of materials that will be needed to complete the procedure. The last section is a sequence of steps, in order they need to be completed, to achieve this goal.
Focus on general human agents
Use of simple present tense, often imperative
Use mainly of temporal conjunctions (or numbering to indicate sequence)
Use mainly of material processes
The Hole Game
- Two players
- One marble per person
- a hole in ground
- a line to start from
- First click marbles together
- Then checj that the marbles are in good condition and are nearly worth the same value
- Next, dig a hole in the ground and draw a line a fair distance away from the hole
- After that, first player carefully drawa his or her marble towards the hole
- Then, the second player tries to throw his or her marble closer to the hole than his or her apponent.
- Next the player whose marble is closest to the hole tries to flick his or her marble into the hole. If successul, this player tries to flick his or her opponent's marble into the hole
- Finally, the person whose marble is closest to the hole wins and gets to keep both marbles
Anderson Mark and Kathy (Text Types 3)
Gerot Linda and Wignell Petter ( Making Sense of Functional Grammar)